Woman using a calculator

Household Support Fund extended

It means there’s a bit more cash to help us during the cost-of-living crisis

The government has added to its Household Support Fund to help us cope with the cost-of-living crisis.

The £500m fund was launched after the £20 a week uplift to Universal Credit came to an end in 2021. It was brought in to help us pay for essentials like bills, food and clothing over the winter.

It was due to end this spring, but the government has now said that it will add another £500m to keep it going.

It’s welcome news, because inflation is expected to rise to more than eight per cent.

If I need cash, how do I claim?

In England, the Household Support Fund is handed out to councils, who can then make small payments to help us with the essentials.

We need to go direct to our council to apply.

The devolved governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will get their own share of the money.

Most councils and organisations will give out the support based on our finances and whether we have children.

If we’re successful we might get food or clothing vouchers. But this will vary between areas. We can find out what council area we’re in here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.