Home insurance company HomeProtect have revealed the top 10 most unusual claims of 2017 and it’s an eyebrow raising read!
At Quids in! we’ve been flying the flag for home contents insurance for many years so that if anything goes wrong for our readers at home, you won’t be hit by any nasty, unwelcome costs.
You’ll find our guide to home contents insurance here, and below, some of the claims you might want to make – but probably shouldn’t!
Top 10 unusual home insurance claims of 2017
- Sales director and his wife returned to their four bedroom home in Ipswich after a weekend away in February to find the greenhouse had blown away! They asked around the neighbourhood and realised that the neighbours had noticed the flying greenhouse on the Friday.
- Family in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire were shocked when the bath fell through the bathroom floor into the dining room below! A plumber found that a slow leak had caused the chipboard floor to perish over time.
- A Bristol photographer was surprised to find two grey squirrels in the kitchen with broken wine glasses and damage that cost £1,600 to fix. There was a broken window, but the family puzzled over how the squirrels had done that!
- Family with five children in Northern Ireland made a claim for a damaged Apple MacBook. Their nine year old daughter had accidentally knocked it over while trying to stop her younger sister spreading nail varnish all over the sofa!
- A pub manager in Essex went to a concert over a weekend in May, “there was jumping around and lots of dancing”, during which he lost £17,000 worth of gold chains.
- In historic Cambourne, Cornwall 22 year old estate agent was shocked to find an intruder had got into his 2 bedroom rented flat and “peed on the sofa and slept in my bed“, causing over £1,400 worth of damage.
- Company director’s wife put her handbag on the hob at home in Aberdeen which accidentally lit the ignition causing the handbag to burst into flames!
- A couple in Peacehaven, East Sussex made a claim for a bag that had fallen off the cliff into the sea below. Inside the bag were the couple’s iPad and iPhone, both smashed to smithereens!
- In Pinner, Middlesex a busy household of five adults and two children were upset to find a “big mouse running past them” in the kitchen. It had chewed a cereal box and a water bottle but couldn’t be tracked down after that.
- Retired couple living in Walton on Thames in Surrey were surprised when their grown-up son took a hot bath with a cup of tea and ended up breaking the toilet pan with the mug! He’d balanced the mug on top of the cistern and it had slipped off into the toilet with such a force it cracked the porcelain.