I live alone in a 2 bedroom house, and usually pay the under-occupancy charge (bedroom tax). My son has had to come and live with me during the Coronavirus lock down, and we don’t know how long it will be for. It’s costing me extra on food and utility bills – do I still have to pay the bedroom tax while he’s here?

You will need to inform housing that he has come to live with you, that may either be Housing Benefit if you are still on that benefit or Universal Credit where you can go on your journal and report a change.

Both agencies will recalculate your entitlement. There may a be a reduction in benefits if they expect him to make a claim and contribute to the household.