I’m self-employed or on a zero hours contract. Can I get statutory sick pay? If not, what can I do if I need to self-isolate?

To get SSP you need to be an employee (not self-employed) and earn an average of £118 per week. For those of us that can’t claim SSP, the government announced they are making it easier for people to claim Universal Credit and ESA (Employment and Support Allowance). Some of the measures that have been put in place to make claiming easier include:

  1. Not needing to provide a ‘fit note’ to make a new claim for UC or ESA;
  2. A month’s UC paid upfront as an advance without needing to attend the job center;
  3. The seven day wait for new ESA claimants has been reduced, and will now be payable from day one.

More info: