Traditionally Bubble & Squeak is made from a mixture of leftover mash, cabbage and onion. But it’s also good if made with butternut squash or sweet potato, broccoli, carrots and peas. The onions are a must but there are no rules really so just use whatever you’ve got!
- Leftover potatoes and vegetables
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil or
- 1oz (25g) lard
- Get a large mixing bowl, mash all the leftover vegetables together and mix with the potatoes.
- To fry: Pre-heat the oil in a very large pan until it’s practically smoking. Put everything in the pan and fry until heated through and crisp and brown in places. Keep turning the Bubble & Squeak over in the pan with a vegetable slice or spatula so it browns nicely on both sides, without sticking or burning.
- To bake: Put the mix in a greased ovenproof dish, dotting the top all over with butter. Bake in a hot oven at Gas Mark 6/7 (200/220°C) until it’s a deep golden brown all over the top.
- To serve: With sausages or baked beans and tomatoes if vegetarian.