Quids in! 22 cover star Jack Monroe says...
“This chilli is adapted from a beef chilli recipe by Gordon Ramsay. I simply left out the beef and halved the wine to make it cheaper – plus, of course, Mr Ramsay doesn’t use a tin of cheap baked beans in his version! I’ve tweaked and fiddled with it so much over the years that now it’s not Gordon’s chilli, it’s Mumma Jack’s.”
- 1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans
- 1 x 400g tin of baked beans in tomato sauce or plain haricot beans
- 1 onion
- 1 small chilli, chopped
- a shake of paprika
- a shake of ground cumin
- a splash of oil
- 75ml red table wine
- 1 x 400g carton or tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 squares dark chocolate
- Tip both tins of beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly. If you are using baked beans in tomato sauce, make sure to rinse it all off. Pop the beans into a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Peel and dice the onion and put into a large sauté pan along with the chopped chilli, paprika and cumin. Add the oil and cook on a low heat until the onion softens into a spicy sweetness. Pour in the wine, add the chopped tomatoes and crumble in the stock cube, then simmer all together on a low heat.
- When the beans have softened, drain and tip into the sauce. Add the chocolate and stir until the beans are mixed through and theÂ chocolate is melted.