Here’s our low budget take on an easy, tasty, classic British pudding. Give yourself a treat!
- 100g sugar
- 5 slices of bread – ideally white
- Handful of sultanas or raisins
- 1 pint whole milk
- 2 eggs
Set the oven to 190°C, 374°F Gas Mark 4
- Lightly grease a small baking dish with butter and put to one side
- Cut each slice of bread diagonally in half to make ten triangles. Butter each piece of bread on one side.
- Put one layer of buttered bread in your heatproof dish, sprinkle over 1-2 teaspoons of sugar and about a tablespoon of sultanas or raisins. Repeat these layers until all of your bread has been used up, finish with a sprinkling of sugar on top but not the dried fruit as this will burn.
- In a bowl or large mixing jug beat the eggs then pour in your pint of milk.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over your layers of bread, allowing the liquid to soak through the dry ingredients.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, place the in the oven and bake for 30-40 mins until the top is golden and the pudding set.
- When ready, allow to cool slightly for 5 minutes before serving.