Filling, warming, delicious and cheap! This tasty bowl of goodness has been given to Quids in! by food writer and recipe tester Hannah Cameron McKenna.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cm ginger, grated
- Whole or ground spices (cumin, turmeric, mild curry powder, mustard seeds), 1 tsp each
- 2 stock cubes, veg or chicken
- 500g dried red lentils
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins coconut milk
- Spinach, fresh or frozen
- In a large pan, for which you have a lid, heat the oil over a medium heat. When hot, add the onions, garlic, ginger, spices and stock cubes. Cook until soft and beginning to colour, about 10 minutes. Add the lentils, stir to combine, and add the tomatoes and coconut milk. Use the tins to top up with water, I normally add about a tin and a half.
- Cook until lentils are falling apart, around 30 mins. Season with salt, to taste. Stir in spinach and allow to wilt/defrost. Serve piping hot, with whatever toppings you fancy.
• Toasted desiccated coconut • Boiled egg • Mango chutney • Chilli sauce • Poppadoms • Rice