Many budget recipe sites talk about ‘fakeaways’, the idea being that rather than spend money on takeaways you can make the same meal at home for less. Egg Fried Rice is one of the easiest dishes you can turn your hand to, and when time and money are tight it can even work as a main meal!
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main meal
- 200g long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tbsp sunflower/vegetable oil
- 100g frozen peas (optional)
- 3-4 Spring onions sliced (optional)
- Soy sauce (optional)
- Cook the rice following the directions on the packet, normally doubling the amount of water to rice, and taking off the heat when the water has been absorbs gives good results. Allow the cooked rice to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized frying pan, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil until very hot. Add the rice to the pan and quickly stir to coat in the oil.
- Add the beaten egg to the rice and quickly stir to combine. The rice is ready when the egg has been fully cooked.
- At this point you can add the peas if using, stirring until warmed through.
- Divide the rice among bowls or plates, sprinkle with soy sauce and slices of spring onions (if using).