Although it takes it’s name from the posh school where it was invented in 1893, there nothing expensive or exclusive about Eton Mess! Everyone will love this combination of fruit meringue and cream – ideal for warmer Summer evenings.
- 2 egg whites
- 120g caster sugar (plus 1tbsp extra for the cream)
- 400g strawbwerries (or raspberries if you prefer)
- 450ml double cream
- Heat your oven to 120ºC gas mark 1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar until you have a glossy white mixture.
- Line a baking tray with non stick paper. Spoon the meringue mixture on to the paper in large dollops and place in the oven for around 1hr until the meringues are hard. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool
- Chop the strawberries into quarters – raspberries can be left whole
- In a large clean bowl gently whisk the double cream until thickened, it should slowly slide off a spoon. Add the table spoon of caster sugar and stir through until combined.
- Now assemble your Eton Mess! Crumble your cooled meringues into the cream, followed by the fruit. Mix gently to just combine, the three ingredients should remain slightly separate. Spoon into bowls, or glasses if you have them and serve.