With tomato, sausage and hidden vegetables
Hearty, satisfying pasta and sausage that’s also cheekily good for you!
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g courgette (grated)
- 50g carrot(peeled and grated)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 large tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of chilli powder (optional)
- 300g pasta (shape of your choice)
- 8 sausages, cooked and chopped into chunks (vegetarian or meat)
- 100g cheese (cheddar or parmesan or a mixture of both)
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the garlic and chopped onion and heat on low until starts to soften, keep the heat low and add the grated courgette and carrot, continue to heat with lid on the pan until vegetables are all softened.
- Add the tomatoes and puree, saltand pepper (and chilli) and the stock cube dissolved in 100 ml water. Leave to simmer for 15- 20 minutes until a deep red colour.
- Follow the instructions on the packet to cook the pasta, drain and add to the mixture
- Mix together the sauce, drained pasta and chopped sausage. Spoon the mixture into a medium sized oven proof dish. Cover with the grated cheese
- Bake in a medium oven 160C/Gas 5 for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
To change the recipe further you can also add some red pepper, some peas or kidney beans.
Thanks to Sara for this great recipe that we love making! Sara Hayes, a food technology teacher, runs Live Learn Cook. She delivers nutrition and cookery classes in schools and local communities across Bath and Bristol.