It’s one of the great bargain recipes, loved all over the world. Our macaroni cheese recipe is warming, filling and will feed your whole family – or just yourself, several times over!
- 500g macaroni (you can use an alternative pasta if you prefer, smallish shapes or tubes work best)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 pints milk
- Grated cheese (cheddar works best, but use what you can afford)
Heat the oven to 180C
- Cook the macaroni or pasta of your choice in plenty of boiling salted water. Somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes should do the trick. Drain the pasta and put to one side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan large enough to hold the two pints of milk. Once melted, add the flour and rapidly stir to combine. Keep stirring for another 2-3 minutes allowing the flour to gently cook.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring continually to make a sauce. Once fully combined allow to gently cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Now add your grated cheese, you can use as much or as little as you like but as a guideline two handfuls should do the trick.
- Have a taste of your cheese sauce and if needed, add salt, pepper or both. You can also add a teaspoon of mustard or mustard powder if you like.
- Combine your drained pasta with the cheese sauce and pour the macaroni cheese into an ovenproof dish. Scatter over some more grated cheese and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked through and golden brown on top, remove from the oven and serve.