At times when energy bills are high, it’s handy to turn to recipes that can be made without cooking such as these tasty fajitas. Others recipes like this include our Greek Salad and White Bean and Tuna Salad.
Pick and choose the fajita filling that works best for your diet and budget.
- 4 soft flour or corn tortillas, fajitas or wraps
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lime
- Hot chilli sauce (optional)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes
- 1 400g tin beans such as kidney or black beans, drained
- Soured cream (optional)
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Shop bought chopped or shredded roast chicken (optional)
- Shop bought chopped or shredded roast pork (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- First of all, make the guacamole. Peel and stone the avocado and place in a medium size bowl. Mash the avocado gently with a fork until it’s thick and chunky. Add half the chopped onion, the crushed garlic and the juice of half a lime. Gently stir and add seasoning and hot sauce to taste.
- Now for the salsa. Finely chop the tomatoes until they resemble a chunky sauce. Add the rest of the chopped onion and the juice of the second lime. Season to taste.
- To assemble the fajita, take one tortilla and spread one heaped tablespoon of guacamole in the centre. On top, add a large spoonful of beans and if you are using chicken or pork, place another large spoonful on top of the beans. Top with a spoonful tomato salsa followed by a teaspoon of soured cream and a small handful of grated cheese (if using). Finally, add more chilli sauce if you like.
- Wrap your fajita by folding the bottom of your tortilla into the centre over your filling, bring in the two sides and tuck in!
You can add anything you like to your fajitas. Commonly used are rice, sliced peppers, a spoonful of sweetcorn, strips of beef or chopped lettuce.