Socca is a crispy yet soft kind of pancake, a bit like a pizza, originally from Italy.
Ingredients for Base
- 1 cup/130g gram fl our
- ½ tsp salt and several twists of black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1.25 cup/300ml warm water
Onion, tomato sauce, cheese (mozzarella or cheddar), black beans, asparagus… or whatever you really fancy!
- Put all the base ingredients into a large bowl and whisk well until mixture is smooth and lump free. Leave for 30 mins – this step is important so don’t skip!
- Prepare your toppings, slicing and frying an onion, grating cheese or baking asparagus – whatever you’ve chosen
- Heat a large heavy bottom frying pan/skillet with 1 tbsp oil or slide a deeper baking dish under the grill with the oil in to get hot. Pour in the batter and cook for 3-4mins until it starts to set.
- Sprinkle in your chosen toppings and cook for 12mins on the heat.
- Slide under the grill and heat for 12-15mins until golden and crunchy around the edge. Slide out of the pan, cut into wedges and serve warm!