A tuna pasta bake is one our favourite national dishes. Easy to make, comforting to eat plus it’s healthy and cheap to boot.
Here’s our basic recipe – ideal when time and cash is short, plus some optional extras if things are looking a little more flush.
- 400g pasta, small shapes like twists or tubes work best
- 2x 160g tins tuna chunks, the type in sunflower/olive oil works well but any type will do
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 200g tin sweetcorn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g frozen peas
Heat your oven to 200C, gas mark 6
- Start off by cooking your pasta in a large pan of salted, boiling water according to the instructions on the packet – usually around 10-12 mins.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and tip into a large oven proof dish.
- If your tuna is in oil, tip the entire tins into the pasta and stir through. If you tuna is in water, drain before adding to the pasta.
- Once the tuna is stirred through the pasta, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and place in the oven
- Bake for 15-20 mins until the cheese is bubbling. Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.
- If you’d like to add sweetcorn, drain the tin then add to the pasta at stage 3 with the tuna.
- If you’re adding a chopped onion, stir through the pasta with the tuna at stage 3.
- If you’d like to add peas to your bake, stir them into the pasta with the tuna at stage 3.