We got this recipe from an amazing local course! Cook It is a free cookery course for parents and their children. Run by the Virgin Care Wellbeing Service in Bath, the five-week course normally takes place in community venues.
The course gives parents the opportunity to cook tried and tested budget friendly recipes at home with their children. Participants receive a weekly phone call from a friendly voice to discuss healthy eating topics and choose recipes. Cook It is free and once the course is completed, families receive a free recipe booklet and a £25 supermarket voucher.
Why not ask your landlord or local health care provider if there are similar courses near you?
Serves 4 with noodles or rice
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 chicken/turkey breasts cut into bitesized pieces OR a block of firm tofu and 4 handfuls cashews
- 3 tbps low salt soy sauce
- 1 pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Half a bag bean sprouts OR a bunch of spring onions
- 227g tin pineapple chunks in juice
- Prepare the ingredients
- Peel carrots and pepper. Cut into thin strips
- Trim spring onions and slice (if using)
- Open and drain the pineapple (save the juice!)
- If using tofu, drain, dry with paper towel and cut into bite-size cubes
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken /turkey and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add the carrots to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the pepper and the pineapple chunks, stir for 2-3 minutes
- Add water to the pineapple juice to make it up to 200ml. Mix well and pour in the pan
- Put the corn flour into a cup, add the soy sauce, mix and immediately add to the pan along with the spring onion or bean sprouts. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add black pepper to taste and cashews if using.