The lockdown favourite! Also great for kids’ packed lunches.
- 140g butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 50g icing sugar
Heat your oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/ gas mark 4
- Butter a small loaf tin, and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together for about five mins until light and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer for this if you have one handy
- Gradually add the beaten eggs to the butter and sugar, stirring in a little at a time
- Now add the flour one tablespoon at a time. Beat the mixture thoroughly to give a smooth batter
- Now stir in the baking powder and mashed bananas
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and place in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes. You can check if it’s done by inserting a knife or skewer into the centre of the loaf. If it comes out clean it’s ready, if not givie it another 5 mins.
- Allow the loaf to cool in it’s tin for 10 mins before removing and placing on a wire rack
- Mix the icing sugar with 2-3 tablespoons of water to make a simple icing. Drizzle across the loaf and allow to dry.