Pizza is a dish we all know and love, but this version that Jamie Oliver has shared with Quids in! is breaking all the rules! We’ll only need one pan and one hob ring for this, so there’s no need to turn the oven on. Plus, it’s not only quicker than the average takeaway, it’s far cheaper and contains three of our 5-a-day in just one 80p* portion.
The TV chef wowed viewers with his Jamie’s £1 Wonders show – we can sign up here to see more of the recipes in this collection.
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1⁄2 a red pepper
- 1⁄2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 a butterhead or round lettuce
- 1 carrot
- red wine vinegar
- Place the flour in a bowl with a pinch of sea salt, and gradually pour in up to
150ml of cold water, using a fork to stir as you go so it comes together into a ball
of dough. Knead for just 1 minute on a clean flour-dusted surface, and put aside.
- Put a 30cm frying pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Peel
and finely slice the onion and deseed and finely slice the pepper, adding to the
pan as you go, then season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Place a lid
on top and fry for 2 minutes, or until golden, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a round the size of the pan (just under 1⁄2cm
- When the time’s up on the veg, tip them on to your board, then gently transfer the
dough to the dry pan, gently pressing in your fingertips into the dough to create
dimples. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes on one side, then carefully flip
over. Drain away some of the liquid from the tomatoes, then mash lightly with a
fork and spread over the dough, leaving a 1cm gap around the edges.
- Scatter over the cooked veg and coarsely grate over the cheese (it’s nice to get a
little over the edge, because as the cheese melts you’ll get a gorgeous gnarly
crust). Turn the heat down to medium, put the lid on and cook for a final 3 to 4
minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the base is crispy.
- Meanwhile, shred the outer leaves of the lettuce, finely slice the stalk, and click
apart the inner leaves. Trim and speed-peel the carrot, dress with 1 tablespoon
each of red wine vinegar and olive oil, and toss together. Slide the pizza on to a
board, then slice and serve with the salad.
Treat this as a principle recipe, mixing up the fillings depending on what you’ve already got. Think tinned sweetcorn or tuna, slices of ham or sausage. Use whatever cheese you already have in the fridge.
Love your leftovers
Use the rest of the tinned tomatoes to make a quick pasta sauce. Slice up the remaining pepper and toss through a salad, or use in a quick stir-fry.
*Prices correct at time of filming (January 2023).
Recipe © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited. Photography: Jamie Oliver Ltd 2023