A Spanish tortilla – or Spanish omelette – is one of the easiest and cheapest dishes you can put together!
Consisting mainly of eggs and potatoes you can keep it simple or add as many extra ingredients as you like.
Here is the basic recipe plus some optional ideas.
- 1-2 tablespoons oil (sunflower, olive, vegetable are all good)
- 1 white onion
- 300g potatoes
- 6 eggs
- Start by preparing your veg. Peel your onion and cut in half. Now thinly slice in to half-moon shapes and put to one side. Peel your potatoes and thinly slice them into rounds about the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Put a medium sized frying pan (it needs to be not too small or too large) on a medium heat and add your oil. When your oil is hot add your onion and potatoes.
- Gently cook your onion and potatoes in the oil for around 15 mins until everything is soft and tender. You’ll need to keep the veg moving to cook evenly, either stir or shake your pan.
- While your onion and potatoes are cooking, break your 6 eggs in to a large bowl and beat them together with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once your vegetables are cooked through, add them to your bowl of beaten eggs and gently mix so that the vegetables are fully coated.
- Now put your pan back on the heat and turn the temperature down to low. Add a splash of oil to coat the base of the pan. Add the entire contents of your bowl to the pan: eggs, onion, potato, everything. Your pan should be almost full.
- Allow your tortilla to cook gently over a low heat for around 20 mins, you’ll be able to see when it’s nearly done when the egg is almost set. To finish the tortilla you’ll need to cook the top. To do this, flip it over by putting a plate over the pan, turn everything upside down, lift the pan off the plate and place back on the heat then slide the tortilla from your plate back into the pan. If that’s sounds like too much hassle you can put the tortilla in it’s pan under a hot grill.
- Allow your tortilla to cook for 2-3 mins, then take off the heat and allow to cool slightly for 5 mins. Slice your tortilla into large wedges and serve.
If you have some vegetables that need using up you can add them to your tortilla. Courgettes and peppers work well, slice into thin strips and add them to your pan with the onion and potatoes at stage 2.
You can also add ham, tuna, cooked bacon/sausage or even leftover chicken. If your meat needs chopping, slice into smallish pieces and add to the potato, onion and egg mix at stage 5.
Like your food spicy? If you have some dried chilli, paprika or cayenne pepper in your cupboard, add a teaspoon to your beaten eggs at stage 4.