The high heat of Summer is upon us, and for many that means eating light. A quick salad of mostly tinned ingredients that’s easy to knock together is perfect for a August lunch or an evening meal. We’ve used tuna here but you could use tinned sardines, mackerel or any fish you fancy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 400g tin of white beans such as cannellini or haricot (see our money saving tip below)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tin tuna
- 1 handful parsley, chopped (optional)
- Start by making your dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Drain your tin of beans and tip into a medium sized bowl. Drain your fish and add to the beans (tip: if your fish is in oil rather than brine or water you can add a couple of teaspoons of the oil to your dressing).
- Add your onion to the beans and fish along with your chopped parsley (if using)
- Pour your dressing over the beans tuna and onion and mix gently until well combined
- Serve as it is, or with bread
*Money saving tip: if money is tight and cannellini or haricot beans are too much of a stretch, buy a tin of own brand baked beans and when you get home, stick them in a sieve and rinse off the tomato sauce. Value baked beans work perfectly.